Working at Danes Hill
Danes Hill offers an exceptional working environment. Set in 55 acres bordering open countryside, yet commutable to London, it is a thriving school which has received an outstanding report by the Independent School’s Inspectorate. Inspectors described the school as ‘excellent in all areas’ and commented that ‘teamwork is strong’. They also noted that ‘relationships between pupils and staff, and amongst the pupils, are consistently outstanding’. We feel these comments accurately reflect the school and are indeed key to making it such a great place to work. An on-going building program is further developing the classroom accommodation, adding to the excellent existing facilities that include specialist science laboratories, art, design and technology rooms, performance spaces and high quality sports facilities.
Working at Danes Hill you become part of a large, dynamic community encompassing all the teaching and non-teaching staff. Dedicated support staff work in tandem with teaching staff, taking care of many of the administrative tasks in a friendly, cooperative environment. The Common Room President, elected each year, organises social events and charity fundraisers. Several members of staff offer their expertise free of charge to run different activities, including circuit training and the staff choir. You are also able to make use of the swimming pool and other sports facilities, before and after school, helping to burn off our renowned lunches!
Danes Hill has its own salary scale, which includes fringe weighting and full NQT induction is available. Staff also benefit from being part of the Teachers’ Pension Scheme.
Current Danes Hill Vacancies
- Bevendean Administration Assistant
- Early Years/Key Stage 1 Teacher - Maternity Cover
- Learning Support & EAL Teacher
- Teaching Assistant - Main School
Start Date: September 2019
8.00am - 5.00pm
Term Time Plus
Holidays to be taken in school holidays
Purpose of Post
To support the Head of Pre-Prep, Heads of Year and other academic staff of the Pre-Prep by providing a range of secretarial, clerical and administrative services which ensures the efficient running of the Pre-Prep and other administrative offices at Danes Hill School.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
1. To undertake word processing and typing of correspondence and reports on behalf of the Head of the Pre-Prep, Heads of Year and other Academic staff. To compose letters for signature from verbal and written instructions to ensure the efficient delivery of services to pupils and parents.
2. To offer pastoral care for Pupils when distressed, i.e. disruption in class or lost pupils/parents at pick up time. Offer First Aid when appropriate to do so.
3. To collate information and maintain the pupil database ’Sims’, to run reports and provide updates as required.
4. Update and maintain parental email addresses on database.
5. To handle personal enquiries and general visitors to the School. To include arranging or confirming meetings and other engagements between parents, the Head of Pre-Prep and the Headmaster and other academic staff. To deal with parents’, pupils’ and staff enquiries and messages.
6. To cover for and undertake the duties and tasks of the Pre-Prep Administrator when necessary which are not specifically set out in this Job Description.
7. To take minutes at meetings as required by the Head of the Pre-Prep. Typing up and distributing minutes as appropriate.
8. To maintain an easily accessible and comprehensible Pre-Prep office filing system and pupil records. To prepare and update pupil record cards.
9. To assist with Open House Mornings as requested by the Head of the Pre-Prep duties of which include:
- Attending Open House Mornings, dealing with queries from prospective parents.
- Supporting teaching staff on administrative matters.
- Assisting in the arrangements for Open Mornings.
10. Preparing documents, correspondence to feeder schools, and prospective parents etc.
11. Liaise with catering contractor regarding catering requirements for school trips and events to ensure appropriate refreshments are organised.
12. To collate documents for school mailings.
13. To work with the Admissions department to obtain information from previous schools for pupils joining the Pre-Prep and ensure this information is transferred to relevant paperwork for future reference.
14. To administer the Photographer’s visit, arrange timetable for those days and administer the orders and distribution of photographs.
15. Maintain a small stationery stock for the immediate supplies in the Pre-Prep.
16. To be the main point of contact with Finance for raising purchase orders using the new purchase ordering system; and for helping the Head of the Pre-Prep and other staff with any issues that might arise with the new expenses system called Concur. On both these matters you will liaise with Andy Froud, Financial Controller at the main school and his immediate finance team.
17. This job description is not intended to be all-embracing and the post holder shall be required to carry out whatever duties the Head of the Pre-Prep and Bursar shall instruct, commensurate with position, training and experience.
18. To participate in staff training where necessary.
19. To maintain a presentable and tidy office/ Pre-Prep reception.
20. To ensure, along with other Administrative Staff, that telephone cover is maintained, messages delivered and enquiries dealt with appropriately.
21. Actively seek to implement and comply with the School’s Safeguarding policies and procedures and to demonstrate a commitment to the safety and welfare of children.
22. Actively seek to implement the School’s Health and Safety Policy in relation to the duties of the post, and at all times give due regard to the health and safety of both themselves and others when carrying out their duties.
23. To liaise with and assist the Main School Health and Safety Officer (Mrs Tiffany Callis). To support in the leadership and management of the Health and Safety practice in the Pre-Prep.
24. Reporting all accidents to Health & Safety Officer (Mrs Tiffany Callis) via the School’s Accident Report Form procedure.
25. Informing the Health & Safety Officer (Mrs Tiffany Callis) of any concerns regarding Health & Safety and safe working practices.
26. Actively seek to implement the School’s Equal Opportunity Policy and the objective to promote equality of opportunity in relation to the duties of the post.
27. To undertake any other duties that may reasonably be requested appropriate to the position.
Revision of Job Description
28. According to the development and requirement of the School, job descriptions may need to be reviewed and updated periodically after consultation with the job holder.
NOTE: Much of the work of the Head of the Pre-Prep is of a confidential nature and the post holder must, at all times, be aware of this and maintain confidentiality.
Please complete the application form below and email Mrs Ruth Samson [email protected] by Tuesday 14 May 2019. Should you be successful, interviews for this position will take place on Tuesday 21 May and Wednesday 22 May 2019.
Early Years or Key Stage 1 Teacher
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic, inspiring and appropriately qualified teacher who will join our happy and busy Pre-Prep (Early Years to Year 1) in September 2019. You would be joining a hardworking and forward thinking team who are committed to raising standards. This post will suit newly qualified teachers or equally an experienced teacher. Please indicate your curriculum strengths and interests on your application form. Please click on the link to download the application form. The closing date for applications is Thursday 16 May. The completed application form should be emailed to the Head of Pre-Prep, Mrs Ruth Samson: [email protected] Danes Hill is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
Year – Early Years/Year One Form Teacher (Maternity Cover)
Danes Hill Pre-Prep has a four-form entry in Nursery, Reception and Year One. The successful candidate will be a full-time Early Years or Year One Form Teacher working as part of a dedicated and highly motivated Pre-Prep team. They should have outstanding communication skills, be enthusiastic about their work and keen to contribute to all aspects of school life.
Responsibilities will include:
- Planning and preparing lessons according to the individual needs, interests, experience and knowledge of the pupils in the class
- Teaching, according to their educational needs and marking all work carried out by pupils
- Assessing pupil’s work and recording their development, progress and attainment in academic and pastoral areas
- Maintaining an attractive and stimulating classroom environment and contributing to year group displays
- Promoting the general progress and well-being of individual pupils
- Contributing to extra-curricular activities
- Communicating and consulting with parents of pupils. Making records of all formal communication with parents
- Maintaining good order, discipline and respect for others among pupils; to promote understanding of the school rules and values; to safeguard health and safety and to develop relationship with and between pupils conducive to optimum level of learning
- Managing a teaching assistant within the classroom
Learning Support & EAL Teacher
Full time position from September 2019
Please see below the job description. Please complete the application form at your earliest convenience, applications will be considered on receipt. Application forms should be emailed to [email protected]
Teaching and Learning
· To teach individual pupils and/or small groups with appropriate regard to their abilities and needs.
· To teach underlying skills required to facilitate learning and develop strategies to transfer these skills to the classroom.
· To work through structured learning programmes devised from external agency reports where available and have well prepared lessons and notes for each lesson delivered. Attendance of child to be recorded.
· To teach in a multi-sensory way in order to help pupils to store and retrieve information more easily.
· To create a climate where learning is enjoyable and children are relaxed, enabling them to reach their full potential. Organising the teaching area that is conducive to an effective learning process and a well ordered stimulating environment.
· To be aware of current research and legislation in relevant areas of SEND and be willing to apply different approaches to teaching.
· To maintain good order, discipline and respect for others among pupils, to promote understanding of School rules and values and to safeguard health and safety matters.
· To prepare and review Learning Support Plans (IEP) each term based on reports available.
· To work as a team player when preparing timetables and be flexible to changes therein.
· To administer standardised reading/spelling tests and keep record of individual pupil’s progress.
· Write reports in line with the school reporting dates.
· To communicate and consult with parents as necessary, recording all formal communication.
· To liaise with the SENCO with regard to pupil progress, development and social welfare.
· To main and research a wide variety of resources and teaching techniques.
· To go on further training opportunities to enhance teaching skills and develop personal areas of interest and expertise.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated Teaching Assistant to join the committed, professional team in our busy Lower School. The position is required from September 2019. The closing date for the applications is Friday 24 May 2019, applications will be considered on receipt, therefore, early submissions are encouraged. Please see below the job description and application form which should be completed and emailed to Mrs Angie Lack [email protected].uk
Danes Hill is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
DANES HILL SCHOOL
Job Description for Teaching Assistant
To support the form teacher in the delivery of the curriculum and pastoral care of the children.
1. Directly responsible to the form teacher, Head of Year, Head of Section and Headmaster.
2. Directly responsible for ensuring resource provision as directed by the form teacher.
3. Other supervisory responsibilities – the supervision of small groups or individual children under the direction of the form teacher; playground and lunchroom supervision as requested.
4. Pastoral care of the children.
This job description serves to indicate a range of duties and level of responsibility involved. It is not necessarily exhaustive.
Under the direction of the form teacher:
1. Hear children read on a daily basis, to keep accurate records and to liaise frequently with form teacher with regard to each child’s progress.
2. To participate in the planning of programmes of study for groups of pupils.
3. To assist in the preparation and adaptation of teaching materials which facilitate pupils’ access to the curriculum; to ensure the general tidiness and stimulating appearance of the classroom.
4. To assist with procedures for the monitoring, assessment and recording of the pupils’ progress.
5. To contribute, where appropriate, to any multi-disciplinary discussion of pupils’ needs/progress.
6. To participate in relevant staff development activities. (INSET)
7. To move from class to class if required to do so by the Head of Section or Headmaster.
8. To respond to children’s needs for support where appropriate, both academically and pastorally.
9. To support the Headmaster, the Head of Section and other staff in the maintenance of discipline and a caring ethos throughout the school.
10. To supervise Prep/Activities until 4.30pm.
1. To treat as confidential all matters relating to the personal progress or circumstances of individual children, members of staff and parents.
2. To attend all departmental meetings such as sports days, parents’ sessions etc including the evenings and weekends and any major school functions requested by the Head of Section or Headmaster.
3. To support and promote the name of Danes Hill in a loyal and confidential manner.
4. To be aware of and accept all conditions in the Staff Handbook.