Sport is an important component of a Danes Hill education and all pupils are encouraged to develop their talents and participate to the full.
Inclusion, participation and enjoyment are the underlying principles of the school’s “sport for all” ethos, which is designed to offer all pupils a richness of opportunity and the chance to discover new skills. A varied range of physical activities contributes to the rounded education pupils receive at Danes Hill.
Above all, the school’s sports curriculum allows pupils to learn and have fun in an environment that provides open and fair opportunity for all.
Danes Hill offers excellent on-site sporting facilities and a dedicated team of specialist games teachers who provide expert coaching in a wide variety of team and individual sports. The greatest possible opportunity is provided for all boys and girls to represent the school in competitive fixtures.
Many pupils achieve county, national or international representative honours and the school is rightly proud of its numerous successes in county, regional and national competitions in both team and individual sports.
The success of this programme allows for regular major games tours, both in the UK and overseas.
A full calendar of fixtures against other schools and House sports events are a large part of school life at Danes Hill and parents are encouraged to support their sons and daughters in their sporting endeavours wherever possible.
Danes Hill has a rich sporting history. It consistently proves itself to be one of the most successful schools on the local circuit and numerous pupils have been rewarded with county, divisional and even national recognition in recent years.
Notable recent achievements are as follows:
- A total of 11 senior boys and girls qualified for the National school's athletic finals in Birmingham.
- Danes Hill games department hosted the 2nd annual IAPS shooting championships.
- Danes Hill games department organised their first ever boys senior rowing regatta at Walton Rowing Club.
- The U13 Rugby squad finished in the top 6 in the country at the Rosslyn Park 7's.
- The U13 Rugby squad won the national Schools Rugby Tournament at Epsom College.
- In swimming a large number of boys and girls qualified for the IAPS Natioanal finals at K2 in Crawley.
- In boys football 1st team came runners up in the Surrey school cup.
- The U11A boys football team won the Surrey plate final.
- In cricket, the U10 boys had the chance to represent the school in the first ever Danes Hill 6-a-side tournament, running all dat involving 12 different schools on 4 different wickets.
- The games department ran a multitude of different sports tours with Rugby travelling to Ireland and a long haul senior cricket tour to Grenada.
Senior girls hockey team crowned National Hockey Champions in 2013, 2014, 2015.
Senior and U11 netball teams were Regional Champions in 2015. Senior team achieved 3rd place in the National IAPS Netball Championships in 2015 and our U11 team were Surrey Schools champions.
Senior netball teams reached the National Netball Championships in 2016 and the U11 team in 2016 and 2017. The U11 team achieved 3rd place in the Regional IAPS Netball Championships in 2017.
In 2015, our senior cross country team were county and regional champions of the ESAA Cross country cup and reached the National Finals achieving 6th place overall. The senior team also won the IAPS National Cross Country Championships in 2015 and an U11 National individual 1st place.
In 2017, the girls senior football teams achieved 3rd and 5th place in the National IAPS Football Championships.
In 2017, a total of 14 girls and boys qualified for the National IAPS Athletics Finals. With Zoe Lawrence breaking the London IAPS Athletics Championships record for the 100m.
Every year we have a large number of girls and boys qualify for the National Schools Biathlon Championships and National IAPS Swimming Champions.
Our ski teams have been highly successful in the National IAPS Ski Championships for many years. In 2017, the U9 mixed and U13 Girls' achieved gold medals, a silver in the U11 mixed and bronze in the U11 mixed and U11 Boys’ events.
All of this talent, supported by the expertise of the coaching staff, has contributed to Danes Hill pupils being awarded a large number of Sports Scholarships to their senior schools.